Two and a half years, 100 million photos, countless wonderful explorations - here are some of the most spectacular captures on Mapillary.
The world is a wonderful place and the Mapillary community are wonderful explorers. It's been an incredible journey around the world through about 100 million photos for more than 2.5 years now, and we wanted to share some highlights of the places that truly amaze us. Maybe they will inspire you to travel, or if you don't have that chance then at least you'll be richer from exploring them through the experiences of others.
- Uxmal, Mexico (captured by xe1gyp). This is one of the most important archaeological sites of Maya culture, representative of architectural style that was dominant in the Puuc region in the classical period. Today it is a part of UNESCO World Heritage.
- Antigua Guatemala, Guatemala (captured by elotrojames). Every year people create colourful carpets made of flowers and sawdust for the processions that take place in Catholic tradition to celebrate the Holy Week. Families get together to work on the carpets and whole streets get covered.
- Grand-Bassam, Ivory Coast (captured by anebophil). A former capital of the Ivory Coast, the historic centre of Grand-Bassam, called France, is now a UNESCO world heritage site as with its distinct colonial architecture and historical significance. Today it's also an important seaside resort.
- Pyongyang, North Korea (captured by cut). This capital city has had a lot of historic names. One of those is Ryugyong, meaning "capital of willows", as willow trees have always been numerous throughout the city's history, including today. Also, many buildings and places have "Ryugyŏng" in their names.
- Arches National Park, Utah (captured by canadarunner). This "Red Rock Wonderland" contains the world's largest concentration of natural sandstone arches - more than 2,000 - as well as hundreds of soaring pinnacles, massive fins and giant balanced rocks.
- Numazu, Japan (captured by yaritsusozai). The Senbonhama ("Thousand Tree Beach") seaside is considered to be one of the best places to view the southern Japan Alps with Mount Fuji in the background.
- Frigiliana, Spain (captured by mapnerd-dk). This picturesque village in the region of Andalusia displays a beautiful, distinctively Moorish style of architecture.
- Sicily, Italy (captured by shlublu). This is Mount Etna, the tallest active volcano in Europe. Currently it is 3,329 m high but this varies with summit eruptions. Also, it is is one of the most active volcanoes in the world and is in an almost constant state of activity.
- Tasiilaq, Greenland (captured by sermersooq). Currently one of the fastest-growing towns in Greenland, Tasiilaq was nearly destructed in 1970 by a piteraq - a heavy descending wind from the Greenlandic icecap that can reach the speed of 180-288 km/h (111-178 mph).
Which are the most captivating sequences on Mapillary in your opinion? Share them with us here in comments or via social media (tag them with #MapillaryExplore). If you have a story about the place and/or why you consider it special, we'd love to hear!
/Katrin and the Mapillary team